Friday, October 24, 2008

If you have friends, you'll want to read this post!


Many of you know that the past few months have been quite difficult for me. Losing my job with a company I love so very much was bad enough....a week later my step-father died suddenly, without warning, leaving our family stunned.

The last two weeks or so it seemed as though the storm had settled. Things were returning to normal and my life was no longer chaotic and I was beginning to be my normal, happy self again!

It's crazy how one phone call can flip your world upside down. Last Saturday, Oct 18th my niece came over to spend the night with us. Me, my niece and my daughter were having a great time.... we were making handmade cards; we were stamping, crafting, laughing and the world seemed awesome...I felt warm in my heart as I watched the kids go at it with all of their great crafting supplies.

At 9:04 PM my cell phone rang. I didn't recognize the phone number in the display so I let it roll into my voicemail. I mean who wants to interrupt some serious crafting time!??

About 10 minutes later my phone rang again. This time I did recognize the number, it was my ex-husband. I answered the phone speaking a very happy, no care in the world, "Hello?"... I am not sure exactly what was said verbatim, the conversation is a blur. However, I do know that I heard the words, "Candice, Steph died today..." Huh, what? What are you saying. This makes no sense! Surely he's not talking about my Steph who is only 34-years-old...young and healthy, so wait a minute, back up.... "What Steph are you talking about?" Even though I knew what the answer would be (because I don't call anyone else "Steph") I still hoped there was some other Steph that I was forgetting about and it wasn't THE Steph.

Well, I am sure you can already tell that, yes, it was THE same Steph I have known and cared about for 23 years of my short life. In my state of confusion, I got off the phone and called Steph's house. Her husband, who is also a friend, answered and confirmed it was true. He was calling me at 9:04 PM when I chose not to answer because I didn't recognize the phone number. He was calling from his cellular phone.

This post is about FRIENDS; friends are so precious and dear, and often times somewhat rare. All I keep thinking about is the last time I heard her voice, she was leaving me a voicemail message saying, "Call me, k?" Of course I had every intention of calling, it just seemed that each day there was too much to do, or so much to get done. Whatever the reason, it's called "taking for granted..." Taking for granted each night when I went to bed and thought, "OH shoot, I needed to call Steph...I need to do that tomorrow." The tomorrow's kept coming, but my phone call never did. And now, there will be no more phone calls to or from Stephanie (1973-2008). I will miss you, and I will always wish I would have called.

Call your friends...send them a card, shoot them an email. This is something you can do today. Because tomorrow may never come....

Thanks to everyone for their friendship and prayers. While although I am extremely sad, I am also very blessed. I have shown two friendship projects/cards that take seconds to make, but put big smiles on the faces of those you love!

If you're interested in receiving the directions, or a materials list for these cards, call or email me and I'll gladly provide you with the information.

Warmest wishes to all of you.

Candice

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry to hear about your friend ((HUGS)). You are right, we tend to take things, and people, for granted too often. We should cherish every moment we have with our loved ones, and let them know we love them every day.

PS - glad you like my stuff! =)

Vicki said...

Oh Candice, how very sad for you. I came over to say thank you for your lovely comment on my blog and read your sad news. You are so right about not putting off calls to friends - I owe a couple of call backs and will definitely do them today. Take care and stay positive. Hugs xx

Inge said...

Sorry to read all this sadness that is happening to you! I'll keep you in my thought and prayers.
Inge

Kim B said...

CANDI- girl, I just popped over from your comment you left on my blog today- and man I have to tell you that I am sitting here with goose flesh! I can't tell you how often we take friends and family for granted- it really is so easy these day's with everything being faster and life being fuller. But OH I've learnt like you via losses ( and there have been quite a few)- that life is TOO SHORT! and yeah that's why I act like an idiot,teen,and kid - hahahaha.

I'm sorry to hear about all your sad news. I'm sending you a *strength hug* but by reading your post I know you'll make it through ;-)
Thanks so much for you comments and visits too.
Keep in contant.
HUGS
Kim

Modern-Day Ma said...

OH MY!! (((big hugs)) to you sweetie! I'm so sorry to hear about Steph! :-( I'll definitely keep you in my thoughts and prayers. It's my first time visiting your blog reading about all of the wonderful things and products you showcase here, such wonderful blog and reading all of your great posts. This one gave me chills and i could feel the pit of my stomach for a moment sympathizing with your grief. You seem like such a happy and energetic person and a great friend, as i am certain you were to Steph. :-)And I'm sure she knew that. Thanks for reminding us to take a moment to appreciate our friends. :-)

Kim said...

I came over to your blog through your lovely quote on my 4shared when you were downloading a freebie form my blog...so sad to read about your loss and hope you know that prayers are answered and you are truly loved...you will get to see your friend again! Hope the hurt softens soon! Take care!

Angela N. said...

So sorry to hear about your friend. I just recently caught up with a old friend, and it felt so good doing it. Your post has made me want to reach out more to some other old friends.
ps - im in colorado too

Vicki said...

Candice - thanks for your lovely comment on my blog today. You are such a sweetie - thanks for stopping by. Mwah!

Breeza said...

Candice, I am so sorry to hear your sad news!! I was just popping over to say thank you for your lovely comments on my 4shared account and I read your post and it made me want to call every friend and family member that I haven't spoken to for a while!

Thank you for reminding me not to take my loved ones for granted!!

Much love to you and your family!!

xox

Mega-Doodle Inspired said...

Hi Candice! I saw your comment on my blog about losing your job! Then I read about losing a family member. This must be a tough time! It's good to know that you have some good friends to help you through it all!
Take Care! - Brandy

Stacey said...

Oh I am so sorry girl...thank you for the reminder..I know it is easy to take friends for granted...and we shouldn't. I wanted to thank you so much for the sweet comments you let me!! I am so glad that you like my first kit!! There will be many more to come!!! Thanks again!

Vivayne said...

I'm so very sorry to hear about your losses. Thank you for the words of advice! My prayers are with you...